Tuesday 10 February 2009

There's probably no God, so stop worrying and enjoy your life

You may recognise my title as the slogan of The Atheist Bus

http://www.atheistbus.org.uk/

This new project has got everyone buzzing and talking about atheism, whether criticising or praising the campaign, what do you think?

Personally I'm fully in favour of the campaign, I think it sends out a good, positive message about atheism. I object to the fact atheists are stereotyped as "without faith" or negative or as taking the beauty out of life. I don't see where this idea came from, I think it's positive to believe there's no greater force in the world. I see the fact I don't believe in heaven as a positive too, I think it means this is the only life you get so make the most of it.

I remember an RS teacher of mine putting up the chemical formula for a rainbow and saying it took the beauty out of it. I disagree, surely it makes it more wonderful that we can explain the complex process that makes something so beautiful.

This is better summed up by one of my favourite quotes-
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"
Douglas Adams

This campaign has obviously outraged many Christians. However their response might have been more effective had it not been so divided. First, Christian Voice attempted to report the bus to the advertising standards agency, as false advertising.

In complete contrast to this, another Christian group is making retaliating posters with the slogan "There definetly is a God".

Firstly this is a ridiculous slogan. Someone I spoke to criticised the Atheist Bus for "sitting on the fence" by using the word 'probably'. I think this was a smart move personally, it shows an open mindedness and that Atheist's can admit there's no guarantee. The retaliation slogan only serves to highlight the arrogance of the campaign.

Also, with Christian Voice claiming false advertising and The Christian party retaliating, what exactly are they asking for? For Atheists not to be able to express their views but for Christians to have freedom of speech? These adverts were a response to a Christian campaign in the first place plus they make a refreshing change from all the religious publicity out there.
Anyway, what happened to turning the other cheek? ;)

I feel it's about time Athiests had a say and a chance to advertise, I think Atheism still needs to be brought out of the closet, so to speak. I once heard that more politicians have admitted to being gay than to being an Atheist. Whilst our society is becoming more tolerant and understanding in some ways, there is still so much prejudice against atheism and I think it's time that changed.

Hopefully the fact the Atheist Bus justgiving page has raised £151,446.66 so far is a sign of a changing society.

No comments:

Post a Comment